Sunday, March 06, 2011

apple raspberry.

The first time I made an apple pie was last October with Todd's mother. I never thought I liked apple pie until I actually made one and tried it. I was so mad that I have been missing out on this goodness for years. Everytime we visit his parents, his mom and I make an apple pie. It's kinda become our thing :)

This weekend was rainy. So I decided that I would make an apple pie to spice things up for Sunday dinner. I used pre-made pie crust, because let's face it, pie crust is really hard to make and I just didn't have the time. Nor do I have a rolling pin :(

I opened the freezer to get out my pie crust (thanks Pillsbury) when I spotted a bag of frozen raspberries I have had for a few weeks. I wondered if this would be a good mix...apples and raspberries? I googled it and the first recipe that popped up was one of Martha's! I instantly knew it was a good idea. So I just followed Todd's mom's recipe and threw in raspberries to the mix!

Best idea I've ever had. It was so so so so so delicious. 


Raspberry Apple Pie

1 1/4 cups sugar
3 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 cups peeled, cored, and thinly sliced Granny Smith tart apples.  
6 oz of rapsberries. Fresh or frozen (thawed).
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice

_Line your pie plate with the crust.

_Combine sugar, flour, spices and salt in a bowl.
_ Add apples and raspberries to the mixture and mix carefully to coat fruit.
_Arrange apple slices neatly in prepared pie pan, mounding them slightly in center. 
_Dot with butter and sprinkle with lemon juice.  
_Top with crust, fluting edges as directed for double crust pie.

_Bake at 400 degrees for 60 minutes or until apples are tender. 

_Cool to lukewarm.  Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.


♥

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love it. I can't wait to try some!